Apr 14, 2014

Spring Break Sewing: Bomber Progress!

I have exactly five minutes to write a post before my child's daily allotment of Doc McStuffins comes to end, thus officially beginning Spring Break/No Time to Myself Week. (I already used one episode and three-quarters to shower, dress, and do some sewing, naturally).

I thought I would share some progress on my self-drafted silk bomber jacket. With my pattern tested twice and ready, I started cutting my bomber out. I thought about the weight of the silk and decided to completely fuse the front and back pieces with weft-weight interfacing. The silk is a charmeuse weight, and I thought the slant welt pocket would drag it down too much without a little stabilization. It still feels really nice. The sleeves I left unfused:


Speaking of welts, these might be some of the nicest I have sewn:



The pocket bag will be hidden by a lining eventually, but here it is for now:


I'm afraid of my neckline getting stretched out, so I won't actually leave my bomber-in-progress on my dressform...but here it is just to get a taste:


Times up! We are off to go hunt Easter Eggs in the city today (Faberge is hosting the "Big Egg Hunt" which is obviously a marketing ploy but my kid is super stoked to scan the eggs on my phone and "crack" them. Anyone else got some good Spring Break ideas? We are staying in NYC for most of it. Sewing, unfortunately, is off the table!

14 comments:

  1. Holy crap, this is awesome! I loooooove the fabric, and it's perfect for a bomber! I'm having major jacket envy over here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You wanna get in on the Sisterhood of the Traveling Bomber Jacket Pattern action?

      Delete
  2. Unfortunately, the fashion world doesn't stop for spring break, but I wish they did. Those are the nicest welts I've seen in a while. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spring break is only fun for teachers anyway, I think. For the rest of us it's exhausting!

      Delete
  3. this is looking great! that fabric is just too awesome. nice job on the welt pocket!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa! There's always that scary moment when you cut into the front of your garment....it's enough to quicken my pulse.

      Delete
  4. Another way to add weight to light wt. silks is to use a cotton flannel backing. I use this technique when making silk vests. For a bomber, make up pockets, yokes, and do all topstitching, then cut matching front, back, and sleeves, baste to the shell with serging or single needle. Yes the flannel does add bulk, but the silk will retain it's drape and movement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is really good advice that I am going to tuck away (in my welt pocket) for next time!

      Delete
  5. This is looking really nice, can't wait to see the finish version.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you and your munchkin enjoy some fun times during her spring break. Awesome garment, as always! Thank you for taking time to share. I love seeing your creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh man, this is looking so good!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is looking great! So much like the pattern, good job :)
    Oh man my welts were disgraceful haha but I think to the untrained eye, the floralness disguises them ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. GASP-expletives-GASP... this is turning out so much more awesome than I envisioned, and I was expecting a lot. Those welt pockets are bloody gorgeous. I'm never going to be able to cut into my twinsies fabric now. From the stash shelf (ok, closet), it will forever taunt me that I will fall short...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...