Apr 21, 2013

Blog Milestone!

Before yesterday, the closest I ever came to fame was starring in my highschool's musical in Grade 10. The musical was "Leader of the Pack," which is about the life of Ellie Greenwich, a famed songwriter from the '60s. I played Ellie Greenwich, which was a humbling experience (not humbling in the modern-day "I'm so humbled to be nominated for an Oscar" way, but the old-school, true meaning of the word: I lost a little more of my dignity every time I opened my mouth). 

I did sign a couple autographs during that week of shows. I hope they were all requested in earnest.

Anyway,  yesterday I was actually recognized by a reader at Mood in NYC's Garment District — which was also somewhat humbling because I was buying this hideous/amazing stretch cotton which I intend to turn into pants:

The yellowish tones in this actually read chartreuse in real life
 An Australian, Liz was in New York City just for a short time, but she seemed well-versed in the Garment District having been here many times before. She said she intended to go to the Museum of Natural History, but just had to do some swatching on the way (I'm super jealous of her fabrics; Liz clearly has great taste, so I think she was being ultra-gracious when she said she liked the puke-print I was purchasing).

I also bought this ultra-lightweight navy cotton printed with dots and deer:


I've been making and adjusting a few versions of Grainline's Tiny Pocket Tank, which I thought would be a good way to eat up some remnants and expand on my dismal summer wardrobe. I hemmed and hawed over buying it: I like the cut of it (the scoop neck, darts and hemline are all perfect), but it's so simple — I know I could draft it myself, probably in an hour. But at $6.50, I figured if I saved myself that hour of work, it would be worth it. (Surely my time is worth that?).

I think I may draft a button placket and use this deer and dot print cotton to make yet another version. I did only buy a yard (it was pricey! $20/yard). My daughter informed me it's see-through (with a really judgey look on her little face!). I'll have to learn how to layer.

And now I can hear her waking up....so that's it for today, friends. What has been your closest brush with fame?

20 comments:

  1. I've had blog readers recognize me a few times, including once when I wasn't wearing a single thing I'd made so I felt like a huge fake! The other times it felt like meeting an old friend except for the first time which is quite nice because I think it's hard to meet and make new friends as adults

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! That is awesome. I always keep an eye out for other bloggers when I'm in Mood. I once had a reader recognize me by the garment I was wearing (not by actually recognizing my face), which was weirdly flattering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my pants, actually. I was wearing my new leopard print pants, and she spotted them.

      Delete
  3. Haha your daughter sounds so fun and spunky! I think Paunnet also made a dress out of the deer print fabric!

    http://paunnet.blogspot.it/2012/12/doe-printed-sureau.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. it would be so weird to be recognized somewhere! but, definitely a cool milestone. can't wait to see how these pants turn out, i do love a good chartreuse! i have some fabric intended for a tiny pocket tank also (will be a quick rebound project after the jacket i'm working on) so i'm curious to see yours. love the navy fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's so cool that you were recognized. You're a real celebrity now!

    Love the printed fabric you bought. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! This deer print is adorable - I've been searching for it since I first saw Paunnet's dress and have not been able to find it anywhere on the internet! Can't wait to see what you make with it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That deer print is pretty awesome!
    (and so are your pants btw).
    So my first brush with fame was the American Sewing Expo in 2011. They had just wrapped up the giveaway, so everyone was running out to their cars and someone in the crowd yelled out to me "Vacuuming the lawn!" (my blog name). I didn't know her but she reads my blog and we had a nice chat. Then the following year at the same expo I was waiting for my friend out in the hall and a different woman came up to me and said she reads my blog. It's pretty cool to be recognized!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dots and deer? Too cute! And I am really looking forward to seeing the pants, I can see where you're going with it, but en masse and uncut, yeah, the fabric looks a little puke-y. Will be much better as a garment!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Check you and your rad self out, rockstar! And that fabric... squee!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on your new stardom! ; ) Seriously, always fun to be recognized (hasn't happened to me from the blog, but other aspects of my life seems to cross each other every once in a while).
    Those pants will be showstoppers! Not sure I could pull them off, but I have no doubt they will look amazing on you! The navy cotton is just gorgeous, makes me wish I lived somewhere with better access to nice fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  11. HELLO HOT HAIR!! may i steal your leopard pants, puke print and haircut? kthx!

    i met pavarotti once. he gave me & my costar a great big bear hug at the same time, one arm for each of us. it. was. AWESOME.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SO GLAD you like the puke print. It could be fabulous. Oh geez, I really hope it's fabulous!

      Delete
  12. Oooh, look at you! How fun! I don't think I've ever been recognized by a reader, but it's so awesome that you were! I love both prints you chose-- they're super fun! I think Wanett bought some of the deer fabric on our last trip to Mood. Also, Jen did a tutorial for a Tiny Pocket Tank dress that had directions for a button placket, in case you wanted to save your self the work of drafting that: http://www.flickr.com/photos/grainline/sets/72157626373105736/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty easy to draft a little placket. I dug out the instructions I had from patternmaking class...I guess I could have just googled it!

      Delete
  13. Make Money Online is very easy now, In Internet system we have now best earning system without any work, Just Invest some Money into your Business and Make Perfect Life time Earnings with this Business.
    Join Now for Make Perfect Business and Earn Money online from home.
    www.hotfxearnings.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Make Money Online is very easy now, In Internet system we have now best earning system without any work, Just Invest some Money into your Business and Make Perfect Life time Earnings with this Business.
    Join Now for Make Perfect Business and Earn Money online from home.
    www.hotfxearnings.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Latest cars and vehicles, Latest Mazda Models, Racing Cars, International Sport Cars, Concept Cars, PS-Pod, Strange Vehicles, Nissan, Royce Corniche, Ford Concept Cars, Strange Vehicles, Mercedes and More Sport Cars and Vehicles with Pictures and Info
    WorldLatestVehicles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...