Dec 30, 2011

Finished project! Vintage Simplicity 8360

Oh hey! I was just scratching the back of my head
This is my husband's favourite actor headshot pose. The classic scratch-the-back-of-your-head pose. I think it's popular because it sets your chin at a nice angle, making the jaw line look more defined. Think I'm crazy? Here are a few examples:

Shia LeBouef is itchy

So is Jason Segal
Justin Timberlake may be running his hand through his hair...but he's probably worried about his dandruff
As you can see, I finally got my husband out for a photo shoot in his new wool knit hooded sweatshirt, sewn from the vintage Simplicity 8360 pattern I bought on Etsy from Paulassewnice (she has another copy of the same pattern available RIGHT NOW for just $4.25 US).

Hello there, little man!
An awfully photogenic man, my husband Ryan makes for a good model — especially when he accepts direction gracefully. It was a wonderful day in NYC today. Winter? What winter? 


This look says "I question your authority."

I made this hoodie to replace a gray zip-up hooded sweater my husband wore well for a couple years before losing it in Fresno, California, during a fringe theatre festival. I haven't seen a suitable replacement since, so I thought I'd try making him one. Again, here he is in the original:


After a reader found me the perfect raglan-sleeved hoodie pattern (Simplicity 8360), I bought a gray wool knit at Mood in New York City. I tried and failed to find something suitable somewhere cheaper. When I finally checked Mood, I found a perfect match for $20/yard. I needed two yards for this hoodie. Pretty pricey, but it was for his Christmas gift, after all. And the poor guy works so hard and never gets to have anything nice. Look how happy he is now (I believe this look is called "Hey! There's the bus!"

I made a couple changes to the pattern to update it for a man who likes a little more length (the 1970s pattern is a little cropped; it also has very blousey sleeves, which I took in). Instead of a drawstring on the bottom hem, I added a two-inch band. And instead of putting elastic at the ends of the sleeves, I again added bands. It's a more modern (and less feminine, I think) sweatshirt than the one in the vintage pattern. See how tough he looks in it?


Lucy also wanted to give the head scratch pose a try:


So what's your favorite pose? 

4 comments:

  1. Even BETTER than the original! Happy New Year, Sue! One of my favourite bloggers. You've inspired me to sew something for me (for reals, this time) in 2012. xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great! I think you're onto something with the back-of-the-head pose! And your husband has a great jawline-- he should totally pose like that all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all the pics of the dudes doing the hand-in-head pose.
    Hahaha

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...