Do not adjust your monitors....
This dress, my much belated entry into the Ooonapalooza challenge, is really this bright — no Instagram filters needed to make it pop, thanks to this Michael Miller "Floralicious" printed cotton (available at Hart's Fabrics — you're welcome). It has, I believe, ALL the colors.
The deadline for this sewing challenge was actually the end of July, but like Oona, my lovely inspiration, I don't always play by the rules. Of course, that means I am also ineligible for prizes, which are long gone by now.
But I am lucky because I live in New York City and Oona is my real life friend — a prize greater than any gift certificate. She's so nice (and twice as fun as she is sweet). Here she is showing her appreciation for my dress (I'd like to think the size of her mouth is directly proportional to how much she likes it — ergo HUGE):
For those of you who don't know Oona, she's a talented seamstress renowned in our crafty little corner of the Internet for her love of mixing bright prints while rocking figure-flattering silhouettes. She's also a devil-may-care draper who will rock a drop-crotch onesie like nobody's business.
She's also short like me, bless her heart. So in tribute to Oona's signature shot-from-below style, I made my husband get low in our photo shoot. Like, laying-on-the-ground low. (Dirty-New-York-City-ground low!) And the system works. I look 5'6" at least:
I know you're wondering: the pattern is McCall's 6887, a flattering princess-seamed fit-and-flare dress with a cut-out back.
This is a well-drafted pattern with the back cut-out revealing just enough — but not too much. You can wear a bra (score!) plus the bodice wraps just enough around your sides so you don't feel muffin-topish.
The only changes I made were my usual fit alterations: reducing the back armscye and neckline. I also made a petite alteration through the upper bust. I muslined just the bodice and discovered after I had sewn up the skirt that I had to take out three inches from center back in order to make it fit. Though I had chosen the right size for my measurements, a couple inches extra ease meant major droop right at center back. As always, it pays to measure your pattern and adjust as necessary.
The major challenge in sewing with this fabric was the fact that the floral print strips were 15.5 inches wide with solid black on each side. I had to cut the skirt panels (there are seven in this pattern) in a way that made the best use of the floral while remaining on grain. The effect is a little like black godets to contrast the floral print:
|Oona never has this problem|
I really love this pattern, the print, and my new Oona-ish dress.